Nissan Patrol / Safari GU / Y61 Portal Axles
Marks 4WD Portal Axles to directly replace the original Nissan live axle assemblies as fitted to all models from 1997 on.
- GU Nissan Patrol
- Y61 Nissan Safari
- Ask a Question
- Reviews (0)
Marks 4wd Adaptors Nissan Patrol Portal Axles
Our Portal Axles to suit Nissan GU / Y61 has undergone a redesign to increase strength, improve reliability, improve functionality and reduce cost.
We have changed the ratio to a 16% reduction which compliments 35″ tyres without having to change diff gears to maintain normal road speed. This upgrade has allowed us to increase the size of the idler gears, the diameter of the idler pins and fit larger bearings which gives a massive strength increase to the Portals.
All the portals now come with LandCruiser 4 pot front callipers and single pot rear callipers to increase brake performance. The portals are fitted with air operated freewheeling hubs which are operated via a switch on the dash. For vehicles fitted with ABS, we can now provide the portals ready to plug into your ABS-equipped vehicle.
The Portal Axles now also give you a GVM increase to 3780kg when combined with rear coil hat strengthening.
Portal Axles – standard kit:
Portal axles built onto your diffs
- Front and rear portal axle assemblies – 16% reduction
- Forged chrome molly heavy-duty spindles
- LandCruiser brake upgrade – brand new callipers (4 pot front and single pot rear)
- High performance slotted brake rotors front and rear
- High temp brake pads
- ADR approved stainless steel braided brake lines
- Air operated free wheeling hubs
- GVM upgrade to 3780kg
- Heavy-duty wheel hub seals
- Radius arm spacer kit
- Heavy-duty genuine Nissan tie rod and ball joints
- Breathers for Portals and diff housings
- Rubber wheel arch flare & wire retainer
- Diff locks – TJM Pro Locker, ARB Air Locker, Eaton E Locker, etc
- Diff ratio change – see diff gear page for more information
- Alloy or steel 17 x 8 rims – various options available (factory 100/200 series IFS LandCruiser offset) – see Wheel & Tyre options for more information
- Supply front and rear diff housings outright
- Hydro boost brake booster upgrade (required for pre-2013 vehicles)
- ABS – to suit GU Patrols factory fitted with ABS
Installation and Engineering Costs
Fitting Portals to vehicle
- Labour cost includes removal and refitting front and rear diff assemblies
- Fit new springs and shock absorbers if required (springs and shock absorbers not included in cost)
- Fit braided brake lines
- Bleed brakes
- Fit Portal and diff breather system
- Supply diff oil
- Fit front control arm spacer kit
- Fit rubber flares
- Engineers Report
Breakdown of Portal Axle Build
- Front and rear axle assemblies completely stripped, cleaned & sandblasted
- Diff centres stripped and cleaned
- Axle housings are checked for straightness and straightened if required
- Additional bracing made from chrome molly welded to housing and re-checked for straightness
- Axle housings, swivel housings, struts, hubs and portal housings painted prior to assembly
- Diff centre fitted with new bearings
- Ring and Pinion ratio changed if requested
- Diff locker fitting if requested (TJM Pro Locker, ARB Airlocker, Eaton E Locker, etc)
- Swivel housings fitted using new king pin bearings and knuckle seals
- Additional king pin bearing in the form of a ball joint fitted below the lower king pin
- Bolts, washers, nuts, seal retaining brackets replaced or zinc plated
- Front axle assembled using all new components chromo CV joints, chromo axles, gears, shafts, bearings and seals
- Slotted high-performance brake rotors front and rear replaced
- Brand new LandCruiser 4 pot front and single pot rear brake calipers
- High-temperature QFM brake pads
- New ADR approved braided brake lines replacing all rubber hoses
Key Features of the Portal Axles
- Comfort, comfort & comfort – now you can lift your vehicle and not sacrifice the on-road ride quality.
- With the addition of 35″ tyres, the total increase in ground clearance is approximately 150mm (6) over standard
- When 35 tyres are fitted, the differential to ground clearance is equivalent to having a standard live axle fitted with 43 tyres
- Improved articulation is also experienced due to the increase in the vehicle track
- Less body sway is also experienced due to the standard height springs and retention of the sway bars.
- The 16% gear reduction offers this same percentage increase in strength to all of the transmission components from the CV joints back to the engine
- Each portal gearbox holds approximately 450ml of oil
- The oil supplied with the portal assemblies is a high quality full synthetic
- The portal axle assemblies are supplied with breather hoses, manifold, and filters
- Portal vehicles have undergone brake and lane change testing and have easily passed all the required tests.
Ground Clearance and Track
The portal transmissions have a vertical offset of 101mm (4), this 101mm lift raises not only the body and chassis it also lifts the differentials by the same amount.
The portal transmissions increase the axle width by 100mm per side. Running positive 60mm offset 100/200 series LandCruiser rims moves the wheels back under the guards. The overall track of the vehicle is increased by approx 100mm.
The Portals are designed to run 35 tyres which give correct steering geometry.
Reduced Bump Steer compared to Suspension Lifts
A suspension lift is not required, which keeps the control arms and pan hard rods flat.
Many customers change to heavier springs when fitting the usual long list of off-road accessories such as long-range fuel tanks, water tank, drawer system, dual batteries, winch and the usual front and rear bar work etc. Good quality shock absorbers are a must due to the extra unsprung weight of the Portals and larger tyres.
One of the advantages of minimal suspension modifications is better handling due to no increase in bump steer. A softer ride can also be experienced with virtually flat control arms and better tracking due to, unchanged caster angle.
Driveline vibrations are a common experience when large suspension lifts are fitted. With minimal or no suspension lift along with reduced driveline angles, no driveshaft vibrations are experienced. This is due to the universal joints operating within their designed operating range.
Increased Driveline Strength
The torque load which is normally exerted on the differential, axles and constant velocity joints is transferred into the portal transmissions. The amount of load transferred is proportional to the gear ratio used in the transmission. The gear reduction of 1.16:1 offers a load reduction of 16%.
Oil is used for lubrication and is easily checked using the filler/level plug fitted on the differential side of each portal transmission. A drain plug is also fitted on the same side for ease of servicing. We use high quality fully synthetic oil. You require about 3L of oil to service a Portal vehicle.
The portal transmissions are equipped with external breather ports, the extended breathers are connected and run-up to the firewall. We also run your diff breathers up to the firewall as well.
ABS Equipped Vehicles
The Portals can now be fitted to GU Y61 Patrols that have ABS brakes as fitted. The ABS sensors are moved down to the wheel hubs both front and rear, small wiring loom extensions are provided in the kit so everything plugs in and works like a factory.
Tyre Size and Offset Rims
The portal Transmissions are designed to run factory 100/200 series IFS LandCruiser 17 x 8 +60mm offset rims with a 1250kg load rating – we have used genuine, ROH and Dynamic rims in both steel and alloy. Portal wheel selection
Front Tyre Clearance (Control Arm Spacers)
When fitting 35 tyres to Nissan Patrols it is necessary to move the front axle forward, this is to help the tyre clear the rear of the front guard when turning.
Fully Floating Rear End
All rear portal axle assemblies are full floating which means the rear axle no longer supports the wheel directly. All four wheels are supported using 105 Series Toyota LandCruiser front and rear wheel hubs. The hubs are supported on a spindle which is forged from 4140 alloy steel and heat treated.
The front and rear wheel bearings are standard items as found in 105 Series Toyota LandCruisers.
As there is an increase in the vehicles track of over 100mm the tyres will protrude past the mudguards, to overcome this problem the portal axles are supplied with the necessary rubber flare and fixing screw kit
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.