Bell Housing Adaptor Kit to suit Chev V8 Petrol to Land Rover / Range Rover (4 / 5-speed manual gearbox)
Our Marks4WD Bell Housing Adaptor Kit to suit a Chev V8 petrol engine conversion to the Land Rover / Range Rover vehicles fitted with a 4 or 5-speed manual gearbox.
The bell housing adaptor kit consists of an adaptor plate that bolts to the rear of the engine. The standard Range Rover / Land Rover V8 bell housing then bolts to the rear of the adaptor plate. The transmission does not need repositioning for this conversion as the GM V8 engine has similar external dimensions as the Range Rover / Land Rover V8 engine. The adaptor plates are 17mm thick.
The engine mounts have been designed to bolt to the side of the GM engine and then bolt directly to the original Range Rover V8 pre-1996/ Land Rover V8 pre-1999 engine mount rubber and chassis mount. The original chassis mounts do not require relocation.
The engine mounts have been designed to give you sufficient legal sump to differential clearance when used with a standard GM rear drop sump.
Clutch Kits -A
A 10.5″ GM clutch pressure plate and Rover 5-speed clutch plate can be used with the Range Rover / Land Rover 5-speed transmission.
- Standard Chev / Holden V8 Petrol 10.5″ 10T Spline suits the 153-tooth flywheel.
- Can be used with the Range Rover / Land Rover 4-speed transmission since the clutch spline is the same (10 tooth).
- Refer to MCK117
Clutch Kits – B
- To suit 10.5″ Chev petrol to Range Rover / Land Rover V8 23T spline suits the 153 tooth flywheel.
- (Note the GM flywheel will need to be re-drilled and tapped to accept it)
- Refer to MCK410
The original GM flywheel and starter motor are used for the conversion. The bell housing will need to be modified to allow the starter motor nose to clear. When a hi-torque starter motor is used, it will minimize modification to the bell housing.
When fitting Chevy petrol engines, the smaller 10.5″ 153 tooth flywheel must be used as the larger 11.0″ 168-tooth flywheel will not fit inside the original Range Rover / Land Rover bell housing.
Most Chevy petrol engines imported into Australia were originally fitted to automatic transmissions. Marks 4WD Adaptors manufacture flywheels to suit these engines.
The engines are externally balanced with counterweights fixed to the flex plate. The new flywheel fits behind the flexplate, thereby retaining the correct engine balance. Six new bolts supplied in the kit secure the flywheel and flexplate to the crankshaft, along with 3 new bolts to secure the flexplate to the rear of the flywheel.
The flywheel has the same offset as the standard GM flywheel and has been drilled to accept the 10.5″ flat-fingered diaphragm clutch kit or the original Rover clutch.
- Top and lower adaptor plate
- Flywheel cover plate
- Thrust bearing spacer
- Spigot bush & adaptor
- Oil pressure and water temperature adaptor
- Engine mount brackets
- Bolts, Washers, Dowels
- Downloadable Instructions
- Vehicles fitted with the Rover (3.5L, 3.9L) alloy V8 engine
- Land Rover County – 4 & 5-speed manual transmission
- Land Rover Defender – 4 & 5-speed manual transmission
- Land Rover Discovery – 4 & 5-speed manual transmission
- Range Rover – 4 & 5-speed manual transmission
- Fits all SBCs (Small Block Chevs)
- The original GM flywheel and starter motor are used for the conversion. The bell housing will need to be modified to allow the starter motor nose to clear.
- The front coil springs on the Range Rover / Land Rover will need to be upgraded as the cast iron GM engines are heavier than the alloy Rover V8 engine.