Bell Housing Adaptor Kit to suit Holden V8 (Turbo Pattern) to Rover (ZF 4-speed auto)
This kit is made to suit vehicles originally fitted with the Rover alloy V8 engine (3.5L, 3.9L, 4.0L) with the ZF 4 speed auto
The GM V8 engine kit consists of an adaptor plate that bolts to the rear of the engine. The standard Range Rover / Land Rover V8 bell housing then bolts to the rear of the adaptor plate. The transmission does not need repositioning for this conversion as the GM V8 engine has similar external dimensions as the Range Rover / Land Rover V8 engine.
The transmission torque converter is coupled to the flywheel via a crankshaft adaptor. The adaptor has the Rover flex plate bolt pattern and spigot diameter on the transmission end with the GM crankshaft bolt pattern and spigot diameter on the engine end. This allows the Rover flex plate and torque converter to be bolted to the rear of the crankshaft adaptor, same as the old Rover V8 engine.
On the front of the crankshaft adaptor a flywheel is used instead of a flex plate, as there is no provision to support a flex plate when the starter motor is engaging.
The original GM flywheel and starter motor are used for the conversion. The bell housing will need to be modified to allow the starter motor nose to clear. If a hi-torque starter motor is used the bell housing modification can be minimized.
When fitting Chevy petrol engines the smaller 10.5″ 153 tooth flywheel must be used as the larger 11.0″ 168 tooth flywheel will not fit inside the original Range Rover / Land Rover bell housing.
Most Chevy petrol engines imported into Australia were originally fitted to automatic transmissions. Marks 4WD Adaptors manufacture flywheels to suit these engines.
A Range Rover / Land Rover clutch kit can be used but the GM flywheel will need to be re-drilled and tapped to accept it.
- Late model 4.0L and 4.6L Range Rovers from 1996-2000 with the Borg Warner transfer case have a different flex plate bolt pattern and torque converter, they need to be replaced with one from an earlier model fitted with the LT230 transfer case, this will enable the use of our kit.
- Range Rovers fitted with the Borg-Warner viscous transfer case built between 1989-94 also have a different flex plate, torque converter set-up and will not fit our adaptor kit, you will need to purchase a flex plate and torque converter from a vehicle fitted with the LT230 transfer case.
- It will not suit the 4.6L BMW engine and later.
- As the original GM flywheel and starter motor are used for the conversion. The bell housing will need to be modified to allow the starter motor nose to clear.
- The front coil springs on the Range Rover / Land Rover will need to be upgraded as the cast iron GM engines are heavier than the alloy Rover V8 engine.
- Top adaptor plate
- Lower adaptor plate
- Flywheel cover plate
- Crankshaft adaptor
- Downloadable Instructions (requires login)
- Rover alloy V8 3.5L, 3.9, 4.0L vehicles
- Range Rover County (factory ZF 4-speed auto)
- Land Rover Defender (factory ZF 4-speed auto)
- Land Rover Discovery (factory ZF 4-speed auto)
- Holden V8 (Turbo Pattern)