Portal Axles | The Ultimate upgrade for your 70 Series LandCruiser
- 6 (150mm) lift under the axle
- Engineered to suit 35 tyres on 17 & 18 wheels
- GVM increased to 3950kg
- Track increased by 80mm
- Air-operated free wheeling hubs
- Rear-axle track corrected to match the front axle
- Transmission drum hand brake on the transfer case
- Heavy-duty one-piece swivel housings
- Slotted brake rotors & ceramic brake pads
- Stainless braided brake lines
- 2nd stage manufacture compliant
- Legal in all states of Australia
LandCruiser Portal Axles – standard kit for brand new GXL model with factory diff locks, ABS and ESC:
- Portal axles built onto your diffs
- Front and rear portal axle assemblies – 16% reduction
- The second stage of manufacturing compliance
- Forged chrome molly heavy-duty spindles
- High-performance slotted brake rotors front and rear
- High-temperature brake pads
- ADR-approved stainless steel braided brake lines
- Air-operated free wheeling hubs
- GVM upgrade
- Breathers for Portals and diff housings
- ARB High Output Air Compressor and mounting bracketry
- Rubber wheel arch flare & wire retainer for front wheels
- Marks4WD Approved Suspension Package
Tyres & Rims Options
Portal Axle build process on a brand-new vehicle
- Brand new front and rear axle assemblies
- Axle housings are checked for straightness and straightened if required
- Additional bracing welded to housing and re-checked for straightness
- Axle housings, swivel housings, struts and portal housings are painted before assembly
- Diff centre fitted with
- Ring and Pinion ratio changed if requested
- Factory diff lock or of fitment TMJ, ARB or EATON if required.
- Swivel housings fitted using new kingpin bearings and knuckle seals
- Additional kingpin bearing in the form of a ball joint fitted below the lower kingpin
- Front axle assembled using all new CV joints, axles, gears, shafts, bearings and seals
- Slotted high-performance brake rotors front and rear
- LandCruiser 4 pot front and single pot rear brake callipers
- High-temperature brake pads
- New ADR-approved braided brake lines replacing all rubber hoses
Key Features of the Portal Axles
- Comfort, comfort & comfort – now you can lift your vehicle and not sacrifice the on-road ride quality.
- With the addition of 35 tyres, the total increase in ground clearance is approximately 150mm (6) over standard.
- When 35 tyres are fitted, the differential to ground clearance is equivalent to having a standard live axle fitted with 43 tyres.
- Improved articulation is also experienced due to the increase in the vehicle track.
- Less body sway is also experienced due to the standard height springs and retention of the sway bars.
- The 16% gear reduction offers this same percentage increase in strength to all of the transmission components from the CV joints back to the engine.
- Each transmission holds approximately 400ml of oil
- The oil supplied with the portal assemblies is a high-quality Penrite Pro Gear 75W-90 API GL-5 Full Synthetic Gear Oil
- The portal axle assemblies are supplied with breather hoses, manifold, and filters
- Portal vehicles have undergone brake and lane change testing and have easily passed all the required tests.
Ground Clearance and Track.
The portal transmissions have a vertical offset of 101mm (4); this 101mm lift raises not only the body and chassis it also lifts the differentials by the same amount.
The portal transmissions increase the axle width by 100mm per side. Running positive 60mm offset 100/200 series LandCruiser rims moves the wheels back under the guards. The overall track of the vehicle is increased by 140mm.
The Portals are designed to run 35 tyres which gives correct steering geometry.
Reduced Bump Steer compared to Suspension Lifts.
A suspension lift is not required, which keeps the control arms and pan hard rods flat.
Many customers change to heavier springs when fitting the usual long list of off-road accessories such as long-range fuel tanks, water tanks, drawer systems, dual batteries, winch and the usual front and rear bar work etc.
Good quality shock absorbers are a must due to the extra unsprung weight of the Portals and larger tyres; we have had a good experience with both Ironman 4×4 and ARB PB51 shocks but can supply whatever shocks are specified.
One of the advantages of minimal suspension modifications is better handling due to no increase in bump steer. A softer ride can also be experienced with virtually flat control arms and better tracking due to an unchanged caster angle.
Driveline vibrations are a common experience when large suspension lifts are fitted. With minimal or no suspension lift, along with reduced driveline angles, no driveshaft vibrations are experienced. This is due to the universal joints operating within their designed operating range.
Increased Driveline Strength.
The torque load, which is normally exerted on the differential, axles and constant velocity joints, is transferred into the portal transmissions. The amount of load transferred is proportional to the gear ratio used in the transmission. The gear reduction of 1.16:1 offers a load reduction of 16%.
Oil is used for lubrication and is easily checked using the filler/level plug fitted on the differential side of each portal transmission. A drain plug is also fitted on the same side for ease of servicing. We use high-quality 75W-90 fully synthetic oil.
We recommend using Penrite Pro Gear 75W-90 API GL-5 Full Synthetic Gear Oil
Service interval – every 10,000 km’s
400ml of oil is required to service each Portal hub.
The portal transmissions are equipped with external breather ports, and the extended breathers are connected and run up to the firewall. We also run your diff breathers up to the firewall as well.
Tyre Size and Offset Rims-
With the Portal Axles fitted, the rims required are a high positive offset rim with the LandCruiser 5 x 150 stud pattern. We have used wheels from ROH, CSA, Dynamic and genuine Toyota. Portal wheel selection.Your options are as follows:
- 17 x 9 +40 offset
- 17 x 9 +47 offset
- 18 x 9 +40 offset
- 18 x 9 +47 offset
The rims are limited to the 17″ x 9″ or 18″ x 9″ rims with Tyres size limited to 35 x 12.5 R17 or 35 x 12.5 R18
Front Tyre Clearance.
When fitting 35 tyres to Toyota LandCruiser, it is necessary to trim the rear of the front flare to give clearance to turning tyres.
Wheel hubs and bearings.
The front and rear wheel hubs and bearings are standard items as found in the 70 Series Toyota LandCruisers.
As there is an increase in the vehicle’s track of 70mm per side, the tyres will protrude past the mudguards. To overcome this problem, the portal axles are supplied with the necessary rubber flare and fixing screw kit on the front. On the rear, we can supply fabricated guards for the cab chassis models.
GVM, GCM & towing information.
The towing capacity is 3500kg & the GCM is 6800kg
The GVM has increased from 3500kg to 3950kg
Please note: when the vehicle is loaded to GVM of 3950kg, the towing capacity is reduced to 3020kg.